By THEATRE-SPACE
At only 23 years old, Nolwazi Asanda Khanyile from Ulundi is already making a powerful impression on the South African theatre scene. Selected to play the demanding lead role of Asante in The Quiet, a haunting one-woman psychological theatre production, Nolwazi is stepping into the spotlight with vulnerability, strength, and remarkable emotional depth.
In this heartfelt interview, the young dancer-actress opens up about her journey, her fears, her growth, and the transformative experience of working on her first major one-woman show.
Q: Tell us about yourself and how your theatre journey started.
Nolwazi Khanyile: My name is Nolwazi Asanda Khanyile. I am 23 years old and I come from Ulundi in KwaZulu-Natal. I officially started my theatre journey last year[2025] the Artistic School Collection of Actors (ASCA). I am a dancer and actress. Movement has always been my first language, I express myself better through my body than with words. Before this, I was a Stage Manager in Setwork theatre under director Sanele Nxumalo and also appeared in Inkosi Jesu directed by Thandanani “Mjuda Onzima” Qwabe. But The Quiet is my biggest challenge so far.
Q: You are the protagonist in The Quiet, a full one-woman show. How does it feel to carry an entire production alone on stage?
Nolwazi Khanyile: It feels both overwhelming and empowering. At the beginning, it was very hard for me. I wasn’t interested in the show at all. When you’re not interested in something, it becomes extremely difficult. I felt scared and overwhelmed because this is my first time doing a one-hander production. I kept thinking, “How am I going to hold the audience’s attention for the whole show by myself?” There were moments I wanted to give up. But as rehearsals went on and I started understanding Asante’s pain, something shifted inside me. Now I feel really good about the show. I’m excited and proud. My team and I are working very hard to take this production to an extraordinary level.
Q: How has your experience been working with director Thamsanqa Simphiwe Khumalo?
Nolwazi Khanyile: Working with Bhuti Thamsanqa has been one of the most beautiful and healing experiences of my life. He is not just a director, he is a guide, a listener, and a very patient teacher. He creates such a safe space that I feel free to go to very dark, vulnerable, and painful places emotionally. There were many rehearsals where I would break down and cry because the material is so deep and personal. He never rushes me. He sits with me in the silence, holds the space, and gently encourages me to keep going. He pushes me to be honest and brave on stage, but always with care and respect. Because of him, I have grown so much not only as an actress but also as a young woman. I feel very lucky and blessed to have him as my director for my first big production.
Q: What can audiences expect when they come to see The Quiet?
Nolwazi Khanyile: Audiences can expect a very honest, emotional, and powerful performance. The show is about trauma and depression, and how people especially women deal with it. It shows different emotions: the girl who smiles too loud to hide her pain, the lonely child still waiting for love, and the angry woman who was forced to stay silent. People will see how someone with depression behaves, how they act, and how they try to survive every day. We are working very hard to make the emotions real and believable so that by the end, the audience will have a better understanding of what people living with depression go through.
Q: How did you receive the news that the show was going to the National Arts Festival?
Nolwazi Khanyile: I was shocked and extremely happy. It still feels like a dream. This is only my second year in theatre, and now I’m performing at the National Arts Festival in Makhanda. I feel nervous but very excited. It’s a big opportunity for me and my team.
Q: What do you hope to achieve with The Quiet after the festival?
Nolwazi Khanyile: I want people to leave the theatre with a deeper understanding of depression. I also want to gain more experience in one-person productions and grow as a performer. Most of all, I hope this show opens more doors for me so I can continue telling powerful stories.
Final Word from Nolwazi Khanyile:
“To everyone who will watch The Quiet if you have ever felt silent, broken, unseen, or too heavy to carry your own pain, I see you. This show is for you. May you feel understood. May you feel less alone. And may you remember that even in the deepest quiet, your voice still matters.”
THE QUIET is presented by Amaciko KwaZulu Art Project.
Written by: Simamkele Sodladla
Rewritten & Directed by: Thamsanqa Simphiwe Khumalo
Performed by: Nolwazi Asanda Khanyile
Venue: Dick’s, Makhanda
Performance Dates:
02 July 2026 at 10:00
03 July 2026 at 16:00
04 July 2026 at 12:00
04 July 2026 at 18:30
Tickets: R80
Bookings: https://tickets.nationalartsfestival.co.za/en/events/1147/the-quiet

Comments