Skip to main content

The Woman Behind the Silence Stage Manager Nothando Cebekhulu on Holding Space for The Quiet

 



By Theatre-Space 

Nothando Cebekhulu is an actor, singer, dancer, and writer. She is a kindhearted, down-to-earth young woman who gives her all to everything she works on in pursuit of success. She has appeared in King Cetshwayo The Musical directed by Jerry Pooe, and in Isililo Somntwana directed by Thamsanqa Simphiwe Khumalo. Nothando joined the Amaciko KwaZulu Art Project to further develop her skills and is now the Stage Manager for The Quiet, also directed by Thamsanqa Khumalo.

In the world of theatre, the stage manager is rarely seen but deeply felt. For this haunting one-woman psychological drama, that invisible yet essential presence belongs to Nothando Cebekhulu. As the production prepares to open at the National Arts Festival, she opens up about what it really takes to support a show this emotionally demanding.

What does it mean to stage manage a one-woman show like The Quiet?

“I’m basically Nolwazi’s lifeline backstage,” Cebekhulu says. “Since she’s on stage the entire time, I have to be her eyes, her ears, and her calm. I prepare every prop, watch every cue, and protect her mental space like it’s sacred. In a show this intimate, her emotional state is part of the set.” 

How do you support Nolwazi during the heavy emotional scenes?

“Before she steps on, I keep the backstage completely calm no unnecessary talking. After the intense moments, I give her space first, then gently check in. Sometimes the best support is just being present without saying too much.”

How has working with director Thamsanqa Simphiwe Khumalo been?

“It’s been intense but beautiful. In a one-woman show, the director and I are basically co-parenting one performer, so trust is everything. Thamsanqa wanted the silence to feel alive like the audience is holding their breath waiting for someone to break. I’ve loved helping bring that vision to life.”

How do you handle the emotional weight of a show about trauma and depression?

“We stay very intentional. We keep backstage calm before the show and do gentle check-ins afterwards. We make sure no one carries the character home. If the heaviness lingers, we talk about it openly. Nobody goes through it alone.”

What has been the most rewarding part of this journey so far?

“Watching Nolwazi grow into the role has been incredible,” Cebekhulu says, her face lighting up. “Seeing her go from feeling scared to fully owning this character in rehearsals has been powerful. Also, those moments in run-throughs when the silence actually works  when the whole team feels the atmosphere come alive it gives me goosebumps. It’s rare.”

What advice would you give to aspiring stage managers who want to work on emotionally heavy shows?

“Learn early that your job is to hold the frame, not carry everything inside it. Be empathetic, but protect your own heart. Read the people, not just the script. And create strong rituals before and after every show so the atmosphere doesn’t follow you home.”

What do you hope audiences take away from The Quiet?

“Technically, I hope they don’t notice me at all. Emotionally, I hope they leave feeling two things: permission to sit with their own discomfort, and the comforting realisation that they are not alone in their heavy feelings.”

In a show built on silence, Nothando Cebekhulu’s quiet strength is what makes the silence speak.

Show Details

THE QUIET is presented by Amaciko KwaZulu Art Project at the 2026 National Arts Festival  one of South Africa’s most prestigious platforms for new and daring theatrical work.

Venue: Dick’s, Makhanda

Performance Dates:

02 July 2026 at 10:00

03 July 2026 at 16:00

04 July 2026 at 12:00 & 18:30

Tickets: R80

Bookings: https://tickets.nationalartsfestival.co.za/en/events/1147/the-quiet

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Deeply Moving Must-See: My Review of Echoes of a Verdict at the National Arts Festival

By Theatre-Space  I don’t usually get emotional or cry at shows, but yesterday’s performance of Echoes of a Verdict completely got the better of me.  In a world where so many men run away from their fatherly duties, here is a story about a man who desperately wants nothing more than to be with his daughter. After the mother of his child falsely accuses him of a crime he never committed, he loses 11 years of his life to prison. The law believed her, a painful reminder of how easily lives can be destroyed by accusations. Yet through it all, the unbreakable love between this father and his daughter is what touched me the most. I was honoured to watch the show twice. Written and directed by Bongani Mbatha, Echoes of a Verdict doesn’t just tell a powerful story, it forces you to reflect on the decisions we make that can build or completely break us. The protagonist’s biggest “mistake” was falling in love with the wrong person a “monster” who stole his freedom, his daughter’s childh...

Rising Star Nolwazi Khanyile on Bringing Silent Pain to Life in The Quiet

  By THEATRE-SPACE  At only 23 years old, Nolwazi Asanda Khanyile from Ulundi is already making a powerful impression on the South African theatre scene. Selected to play the demanding lead role of Asante in The Quiet, a haunting one-woman psychological theatre production, Nolwazi is stepping into the spotlight with vulnerability, strength, and remarkable emotional depth. In this heartfelt interview, the young dancer-actress opens up about her journey, her fears, her growth, and the transformative experience of working on her first major one-woman show. Q: Tell us about yourself and how your theatre journey started. Nolwazi Khanyile: My name is Nolwazi Asanda Khanyile. I am 23 years old and I come from Ulundi in KwaZulu-Natal. I officially started my theatre journey last year[2025] the Artistic School Collection of Actors (ASCA). I am a dancer and actress. Movement has always been my first language, I express myself better through my body than with words. Before this, I  ...

"Silence Can Be Hungry” Simamkele Sodladla on Writing The Quiet

  “Silence Can Be Hungry” Simamkele Sodladla on Writing The Quiet By THEATRE-SPACE In a theatre landscape often filled with noise, Simamkele Sodladla has crafted a story that dares to explore the terrifying power of silence. Her play The Quiet, a haunting one-woman psychological drama, is one of the most anticipated new works at this year’s National Arts Festival. In this intimate and revealing interview, the talented South African writer opens up about the deeply personal roots of the play, the courage it took to write it, and why she believes it’s time we started listening to the voices we’ve been taught to silence. Q: Who is Simamkele Sodladla? Simamkele Sodladla: My name is Simamkele Sodladla, and I am a South African writer and storyteller with a deep love for exploring the many sides of human experience. My work moves between psychologically intense dramas like The Quiet and lively, socially relatable comedies such as Streetwise 2. I enjoy challenging myself across genres bec...